Monday, February 1, 2010

A new meaning for Red & Yellow

The days and weeks are flying by for us on the island. Here we are already into February, and Eric is beginning week 4 of classes today with a Physio test. He has another exam this week, on Wednesday, followed by a test or two every week for the rest of February.

I have managed to keep myself busy with household activities, outings/events with other spouses, P 90 X (an extreme home workout program), volleyball practice/games, swimming, and today I will begin teaching gymnastics again at the prep school on campus. I am not sure how many girls I will have this semester. Last year, I had around 10 girls, ranging from age 4 to 11. I had my first volleyball game this past Friday. I am on a team of 8, whom are all spouses of vet students, and we started the season off with a W! I love volleyball Fridays! Eric was there cheering us on, and I think that he may start playing with a team from his semester. He has also signed up to play in a soccer league on Sundays. I cannot wait to see how this goes, as he has never played a day of soccer in his life! But Eric is really athletic, so I am sure he will catch on fast.

In other news, the St. Kitts and Nevis federation held their elections this past Monday. It was definitely a heated time of the year for this federation, as the Yellow Party (PAM-->People's Action Movement) battled against the incumbent Red Party (Labour Party) for office. The Prime Minister, who is affiliated with the Red Party, has held office for the last 15 years. Ross students and faculty were advised to refrain from wearing yellow or red clothing weeks before and during the election process, as to not keep from being identified by locals as siding with a certain party. Weeks preceding the election, the island was painted red and yellow with party signs and flags. Street parades were held by each party, as well as concerts; and yes, a few riots late into the nights. As it turned out, the incumbent, Prime Minister Denzil Douglas, and the red party again won the majority of seats. We have not heard of any major riots from the yellow party since the election results, but a tiny voice in the back of my head continues to warn me to refrain from donning anything yellow for a long time. Eric and I will never forget this experience...hopefully it will be the last time we live in a foreign country, where the laws and our rights are sometimes uncertain, and we are facing an election that can turn a country upside down in a matter of days. Luck was on our side this year. Hallelujah!

Eric and I can definitely say that this semester has been more enjoyable for us. This is due to the fact that we are now (somewhat) accustomed to the lifestyle and culture here in St. Kitts, and we have settled into our home away from home. Importing Max down here with us has also been a great transitioning asset. I am beginning to get writer's block, so I must bring this blog post to a close. Sorry that I do not have any new pictures to upload today, but will put more up shortly. Until next time...

St. Kitts and Nevis: It's Working
(Front running Motto of the Labour Party)

No comments:

Post a Comment