Sunday, July 18, 2010

Only in St. Kitts...

I thought I would add a little mix to our blog posts today. Yes, we do live in paradise, on a tropical island, with beautiful beaches, volcanic topography, lush mountains/hills & rain forests, snorkeling/scuba diving, catamaran trips, monkeys & more. And while these key-point attractions bring in tourists from all over the world, you definitely come to know St. Kitts in a whole new light when opting to live here for 28 months. St. Kitts is by no means a 3rd world country, but their government & way of thinking, planning, processing, & executing ideas/policies/construction/development...let me see how to put it...are a little contrasting to "our" way of thinking. Students of Ross have a running FB page of hilarious occurrences that they have experienced or witnessed while living here on the island. It is entitled, "Only in St. Kitts"...check it out if you get a chance, to see why (a famous Aggie saying comes to mind!) "from the outside looking in you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out you can't explain it." Maybe some of these photos that I will be posting here on occasion will help to "explain" the sometimes-not-so-pleasant, but interesting incidents we must encounter as "foreigners".

I got a few Only in St. Kitts (OISK) anthems from the FB page to share with you, as well as the picture I took the other day at Port Zante.

~This is one Eric & I experienced personally...OISK can you get passed up by a taxi van while slowing down to go over a speed bump.

~OISK can you have your mechanic take your car to "work on it" and keep it for a year without any intentions of ever returning it.

~OISK is it legal to drink & drive, but you can't drive drunk.

~OISK can you be studying at school and have a monkey run up and steal your coffee.

~OISK can you go into Kentucky Fried Chicken, only to be told that they have no chicken?!?

And here is the photo I took the other day while shopping with friends...it needs no explanation.

ONLY IN ST. KITTS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment